Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Reflection Post

21st Century Skills
I would like to first say this book scares me. I guess I am still not okay with the fact that we must start teaching children and preparing them for things that do not yet exist. I do not totally understand this concept.
I am in agreement with the fact that we are being over taken by technology and concepts that go along with it. However, I was born in the technology age and have always had it growing up, but I do not believe for one second, that this is going to take over our world. I think about how many families do not even have a regular telephone and do not have electricity at all, some without running water, etc. Is technology really going to do what they think??? I, nor will anyone ever know until it actually gets close to happening.
I think we need to take education back to reality. Let's go back to "old fashioned" teaching! As noted on page 14-15 of this book, in Table 1.2, I feel where I live is still in the Agrarian Age. There are a few areas where the Industrial Age is happening. I feel we are very far from the Knowledge Age. This books reminds me of how teaching was in the "old days." When I read books about teachers just starting out in education it is very similar to the concepts in this book, minus all the "silly technologies." I think it would be a much safer world if we went back to the ideas from the Agrarian Age.
Technology is here to stay, and I realize that. However, lets use it to help us learn and not use it as a tool we learn from. I guess I am saying that I am not really sure I am okay with all of this! I live very near the poorest county in SD. Where I live is so very far from anything I learned in this book that it makes me wonder how many other people have never even heard of this concept?? I do not think that this will no ever happen, but I do think it will not happen as fast as they are predicting. Maybe I just don't want it too!
This book was very eye-opening and I did learn about how important it is that I take my class back to reality. I am going to go back to "real" teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment